twitter




Saturday, October 31, 2009

Nursing question?

Hi,
Just wanted to ask all the nurses on this board what its actually like to be a nurse? What different jobs they do on a daily basis, the highs and lows, whether they enjoy thier job etc...?
I think i've definatly decided that i'd love to have a career in the nursing profession and at the moment i think i'd like to work in the NICU so i was just wondering how other nurses find thier jobs?
thank you x
Answer:
I work in a hospital. It is the toughest and most rewarding job I have ever had, (next to being a mom). There are so many things a nurse does on a daily basis. It also depends on where he/she works. Give medication, Start IV's, prep patients for a procedure, Make sure the medication the doctor orders is the correct dosage and route! You talk to patients, you speak with the families, sometimes having to play referee to arguing parties, sometimes you have to be the one who gets yelled at because the doctor didn't write an order, or you called the doctor in the middle of the night. These are just a few! But when your shift ends and you come back the next day or night and your patient says" I'm glad your my nurse." It makes your job worth getting yelled at, puked on, bled on, ran till your bladder is ready to explode! I could not imagine doing anything else! Thank your Nurse! If you are interested check out www.discovernursing.com.
Sorry, I'm not a nurse. Your comment "I'd like to work in the NICU" reminded me of this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpmhozik...

Not to offend, just thought it was funny, what Dr Kelso says...

Have a good one!

Ashley
Hi annabanana.x

Sorry, I'm not a nurse or an MD (don't let the name fool you) - but I just had to share something with you on this. Nurses, I feel, have THE hardest jobs in any hospital (and the pay doesn't match). They have to deal with the patients who are complaining (smelling - and well you know what else) ALL DAY LONG.

I was in the hospital for about a week about 3 years ago for a severe allergic reaction to a medication I was on. I was in there in the observation ward for almost a week, under 24 hour watch. I was hallucinating, and - well I was out of it, and I remember this nurse who was so nice to me, that I literally terrorized.

I was extremely paranoid, and thought that the entire staff at the hospital was out to kill me, and she was the ring leader, and the poor woman was eight month pregnant! I made quite a scene and to this day I feel really bad about what I put that poor woman through.

I feel it take a special type of person to be able to put up with people like that (me). She didn't deserve that type of treatment, and I didn't deserve to be treated so kindly by her.

You have to have a very BIG heart to go into nursing, remember that, and you have to have a very patient and calm demeanor.
Well, you certainly haven't had any happy answers yet, so here we go. Yes, nurses who work in HOSPITALS have a tough time. They're basically up to the ears in human crap of all forms. However, you don't have to work in a hospital. Or if you do, you could go into surgical nursing. There are so many different options out there for nurses. You could work anywhere in the world once you become a nurse! Just remember that the education is tough and you will need to have intelligence and patience in order to succeed. I think you've chosen a wonderful career and I wish you luck in it!
I guess it really depends what type of nurse you want to be? Prenatal nurse, burns nurse, oncology nurse, surgical nurse, midwife, and much much more............
hi..

is it NICU or MICU? or does NICU means neonatal ICU?? cause so far i've only heard Medical ICU (the closes to what u had mentioned).. i'm a nursing student and had gone for quite a few attachment to the hospital.. it depends on individual if they like the job or not.. cause i have some friends who cant take the job(eg:cleaning butts, troublesome patients) and quit right after the first attachment..

the daily workload of a nurse includes:
-serving medication
-admistering IV, injections
-writing reports on the progress of patients
-passing these updates to the nurses on next shift
-watch out of signs of any potential complications
-collecting specimens for lab test (from wounds, to stool, to sputum, to blood)
-ensure patient's hygiene
-ensure that they are eating well
-ensure of the patient's safety
-update charts(vital signs, intake %26 output)

the highs are when:
-you see patients recovering and discharging from ward
-patients showing that they really appriciate you
-family of patients thanking you

the lows are when:
-the patient that you nurse pass away(worst)
-an error that you made cause the patient to feel bad
-being scolded and accused from their family for not providing enough care
-being blamed for something that you forgot or that you are not aware of

when you have nursing certs, it should be quite easy for you to find a job at your desired place cause there is always a demand in this line.. just apply to the human resource of the desired place or you could get recommendations...

hope that these could help you!!
I wouldn't trade my profession for a million dollars. It is a demanding job, but the rewards are unmeasurable. Like any job you have your good and bad days. But, just one person giving you a hug and a thank-you, that one situation the you just may have made a difference in a persons life is so incredible. You can't get that in any other profession. I believe Nurses are born. It's something that is instilled in you, we deal with many adverse situations, yet we always see a little light at the end of the tunnel. I am cardiac trained and critical care and emergency room background, so you can imagine what I have seen. You state you would like NICU, that is a tough field and can be heartbreaking, but also very rewarding. If you feel in your heart that you can cope with the down side of that specialty, than go for it. We need more nurses that care, that can cry with their patients, but give them hope, and let them know we are human also and that we share their pain. Never be afraid to let the patients see that you care. It creates a bond. I have since gone into Nursing Administration and just started and Inpatient Wound Care Department. The opportunities in Nursing are vast. I say GO FOR IT! Good Luck to you.............I wish you only success.
I've been a nurse for six years. The good points are you can make a ton of money if you want to. I work agency right now, which means I schedule myself whenever I want to . I make about 35$ an hour. And I get paid every day if I want to. The patients who are appreciative of you really can make you feel a sense of worth. However, then there are the negatives. I really thought nurses were treated a little better than they are. Don't get me wrong, I know lots of doctors that I absolutely respect and adore for their love of a patient and respect for nursing. However, there are those that view nurses as butt wiping idiots. I notice when I work on a regular floor, I am not treated as good by the doctors as I am when I work ICU. You get screamed at, griped at, get put to blame for other nurses mistakes, have to run your butt of constantly, rarely get more than 5 minutes for lunch, get your butt chewed for calling a doctor at three in the morning, and sometimes you get rude patients and/or family members. You are a maid, a mother, a counselor, a bather, and a friend all in one shift. I've seen people born, I've see people die. It really has to be something you really want to do. I think the worst part of nursing is school. It sucks, and it's the hardest, most stressful thing I've ever done. But in the end, most think it's worth it. I really hope if you do this, you'll like it. I'm ready to do something else, myself. My back and feet hurt. I'm 28 years old and I feel 50. But I know nurses who have been at it for 25 years and still love it. Good Luck.
I was a cna.which means a certified nursing assistant.I used to work with the older people.I would see that they got feed, how much they got feed,got them snacks,ice water,fresh towels,baths,and yes even changed them and took them to the bathroom.I loved it except the lifting part.I hurt my back and cannot go back into the field.But I also know what they do in the NICU because my son was in there for 1 week when he was born.They have a awesome job while unless one of the babies die.I always wanted to be in that field.They get to bath the babies,feed them,cuddle with them,check there vitals, and they help keep the parents calm.And so if you want to be a nurse in there that is awesome stick to it girl and help those babies they need it to help fight there sicknesses

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net