twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

My husband just had shoulder stabilization surgery....?

he is so uncomfortable, this is his first day home and no matter what position he is in, he cant get comfortable at all. Is there anyone who has had this surgery and can suggest some pointers on how to get through this with a little more comfort. He is taking his prescribed pain medications. Thanks! I think this may be a sleepless night :o(
Answer:
If he does lay down he should lay on his back with a pillow under his elbow for support. He probably should be in a reclined position because it would be easier for him to get himself upright without upper body balance, as well as getting down again. When are you guys thinking about removing the pain pump? When that gets taken out I would see what the doc will prescribe and see if a sleeping pill of some sort can be taken at night along with the meds. It might make everyones night a little more tolerable. I hope he is getting better!! Tell him we are routin' for him over here! See ya soon! : )
when my friend had his done he just took his pain meds and slept in a recliner....hurt to much to sleep in a bed (getting in and getting out were awefully painful) so if you have a recliner i would say put him in their and keep taking those pain meds...they dont prescribe them for nothing.
I agree with the answer above me...keep him semi-upright (propped with pillows in bed is another option) for tonight, and keep the pain meds going. You might want to call the hospital and see if you can add in some Advil (or other OTC) with the medicine he's already taking without causing problems. If he is still uncomfortable by tomorrow morning, contact his doctor. There are so many different kinds of pain meds, something will work. It's a case of trial and error sometimes. After my brain surgery (involving a craniectomy, some skull bone removed) I was given morphine, which didn't touch it. Then they tried Percocet. That worked fine while I was in the hospital, but when I got home and was more active, I needed more. They added Valium and I was fine for the balance of recovery. Keep in touch with your doc; don't take no for an answer, and be sure to give them on time, even if it means setting the alarm clock for an early morning wakeup call. You can get them for him and then go back to sleep. Once he's comfortable, the recovery will go much quicker. The inflammation slows it WAY down. Good luck to you!

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net