twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Procardia to stop preterm contractions?

I am 32 weeks and have been hospitalized twice for thretened preterm labor meaning I have not dilated, but my contractions could have started the process.
I have been given both Terbutaline, and Procardia. I did not do well on the Terbutaline since it got my heart at 128 BPM, while the max is 110 during pregnancy. I was now switched to Procardia because on the first hospital incident, I was given Procardia and responded well to it.
I have done some research on both Terbutaline and Procardia, and found that Terbutaline may be linked to brain damage, autism, speech impediments, low blood sugar, and high blood sugar. I did not however, find anything on Procardia, which I'm sure does not make it safe anyhow.
I was wondering if any moms have taken Procardia during pregnancy, and if so how many mg. and how often daily for how long? More importantly, how are your babies?If anyone has any info on Procardia related to it's use during pregnancy, please share with me.
Thank you in advance!
Answer:
Hi. I saw you had no answers, so I thought I would see what I could do.

BNF says that one of the cautions of taking Procardia (ifedipine) is that it may inhibit labour - but thats what you want! Its list of side effects dont include any fetus-related ones:
"headache, flushing, dizziness, lethargy; tachycardia, palpitation; short-acting preparations may induce an exaggerated fall in blood pressure and reflex tachycardia which may lead to myocardial or cerebrovascular ischaemia; gravitational oedema, rash (erythema multiforme reported), pruritus, urticaria, nausea, constipation or diarrhoea, increased frequency of micturition, eye pain, visual disturbances, gum hyperplasia, asthenia, paraesthesia, myalgia, tremor, impotence, gynaecomastia; depression, telangiectasia, cholestasis, jaundice reported"

According to this website:
http://fpb.case.edu/bedrest/handouts/med...

"No serious newborn side effects have been noted."

However, this website:
http://www.having-a-baby.com/chart.htm#e...

Says:
"Not proven to be safe during pregnancy. Possible temporary fetal/neonatal cardiovascular functional abnormalities."

So, we have some conflicting views due to the lack of studies done. But, I will let BNF take the last word:

"May inhibit labour; manufacturer advises avoid, but risk to fetus should be balanced against risk of uncontrolled maternal hypertension"

Note the last bit: "risk to fetus should be balanced against risk of uncontrolled maternal hypertension". That is what your doctor has done. He needs a drug to lower your blood pressure, and he cant use many due to contraindications, and so he chose this one. If you had no drug, your blood pressure would be too high, and that would cause risk to you and your baby.

Hope that helps

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net