twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pharm D. Program?

Anyone graduated, or currently enrolled in Pharm D. program that can tell me about it and maybe share some experiences? I'm very excited about Pharmacy and hoping to enroll in it myself within 3 years or so. Thanks!
Answer:
I'm in the six year pharmacy program at St. John's University. I'll be a second year student in the fall, but I have to say that I really enjoyed my first year. Granted, I haven't taken the higher pharmacy classes yet, it moves pretty quickly. I can't say that I have that many experiences yet, but all first yaer students are required to take a shadowing class in which we shadowed people in three different settings; a nursing home, a community pharmacy and a hospital pharmacy. Through it, I can def. say that I don't want to do retail. I've always wanted to work in the ER and become a clinical pharmacist to work and during my fifth and sixth year, I will be able to have rotations there.
Like the person above said, there are things that are repetitive, but it all depends on what you want to do. Pharmacists are branching out and being allowed to do more things, so the field is getting to be more well known as time goes by.
I'm glad you're excited about pharmacy and I wish you the best of luck, maybe I'll see you down the road or something =)
Pharmacy is great to learn. Understanding the interactions between medications and their mechanism of action.

However in practice pharmacy can be somewhat repetitive depending on where you end up working. I have experience in a retail pharmacy setting and it's pretty much the same thing over and over again. Standing for long hours, mechanical joint pain, counting pills over and over, and the most important thing....triple checking everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net