twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Plaese help me with this question!!?

one of the concerns regarding the use of genetic technology centers around privacy issues such as genetic discrimination. once we improve our ability to screen the human genome for disease susceptibility. is there any level of testing that should be required by society as a means of reducing health care costs or reducing transmission of genetic diseases across generation? analyze
Answer:
Definitely. I think scanning fetuses for genetic defects is a very good idea. As genetic defects are passed on by reproduction in %26gt;99% of cases, eliminating these would stop them being passed on in the future. If we also eliminated carriers of genetic diseases, by abortions of the gene-carrying fetuses, then incidents of genetic disease would decrease rapidly.

If we can stop a child from being born that is going to have to have lots of medical treatment in the future, and let the parents have another baby, that is healthy, that would be good for everyone involved: parents, society, government, NHS, etc.

I have CF (a genetic disease). If my parents had had the technology to scan for it (I think they might of, but didn't, but lets say, if they had) then I wouldn't have been born. This would have eased burden on them, I would not have minded (as I would not be alive), society would be better off financially (I cost the NHS %26gt;拢19,000 per year in medication ALONE, never mind hospital visits, my 6 surgeries, nebulisers etc). Also, although CF people are infertile, many genetic diseases can be passed on still. So, if these were got rid of, there would be no carriers, and no one would be born with CF.

Anyway, I am ranting now, hope that helps

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net